Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Brooke, Priyanka, and Seth: Master Chefs

Priyanka is finally feeling better!  Since this is the case we took an adventure out to IKEA yesterday afternoon.  We ended up eating there as well, which while confusing at first, was quite good.  I bought a blanket that looks like it's meant for a baby boy (color wise) for a dollar!  We wandered around the adjacent mall as well, later made impromptu grilled cheese and watched "Planet Earth" on our Saturday night.

This morning we decided to make crepes, which luckily turned out very very well for our first experience making crepes.  The first crepe was a little lumpy, Priyanka and I blame Seth, but the rest were deliciously filled with Nutella.  We were and still are quite proud of ourselves for this accomplishment.  Check out their blog for wonderful pictures.

After eating we ventured out to Buda to go on the children's railway.  The railway runs through the hills of Buda and is run by children!  You may think that this means it's like the miniature train at Hershey Park, and if you do, I am sorry to say, you would be wrong.  These are full size fully functioning trains with stations and all.  It was nice to see some greenery, and despite the plethora of trees, I was able to get a few good pictures in.  It was very relaxing to just sit and observe for an afternoon.  On top of that it only cost $6.35!  What I got would have been at least $20 in the U.S.

Train we rode on!
One of the child conductors.
After getting off the train, we were all quite hungry and had seen pastries being cooked over and open fire on our way in, our hunger drew us there, and boy am I glad that it did.  We bought an authentic chimney cake.  It's a pastry that comes from Transylvania, which used to be a part of Hungary at one point, and it wrapped around what looks like a cone shaped rolling pin and then rolled in sugar, the sugar then caramelizes around the pastry as it is cooked, and while it's cooking they throw even more sugar on it.  The dough is infused with cinnamon as well.  After seeing the amount of sugar thrown on this thing, I must admit, even I was a little scared with how sweet this thing might be.  But, to my surprise, it wasn't overly sweet at all!  Just crispy on the outside, doughy, but cooked on the inside.  Still so hot I burnt my thumb.  It was one of the best experiences I've ever had with a food.  And is something that you must try when in Hungary, not from a chain pastry shop, but from an open stove, and so big that you can fit your entire arm in, like a giant bangle bracelet.
This is pretty darn close looking to the deliciousness that I consumed.

No comments:

Post a Comment