Here in Budapest, the drivers are really pretty good about pedestrians. There really aren't tons of crosswalks, especially by small streets, so if there is a small break and you start walking, they are sure to stop for you. The bus will slam on it's breaks for you, and not blow their horn. Athens is not the same. They do not give a crap where you are walking, all they care is that you are walking in their way. Traffic stops for nothing, not a person, not a cat, here, the pedestrian does not exist. The traffic consists of about half cars, and the other half mopeds and motor bikes. And only about half of those riding said bikes (a quarter of the whole if you will) actually wear helmets. Obviously a comforting place to walk around.
My first impressions of the city are as follows:
-children (especially boys) have the most awful haircuts you will encounter, and were really meant for a girl.
-The city is bright everywhere you go
-The homeless are both heartbreaking, and terrifyingly gross. I saw one guy with open sores on his legs and his entire person was splattered with dried blood.
-The city is FULL of cats, mostly strays, Athens has a stray problem.
-Almost everyone speaks English, which is something that I am really not used to at this point. I live in a place where I ask everyone I come across if they speak English before proceeding. In Athens, everyone simply starts speaking to you in English, before you can get a word out.
| I have no clue what this is. I am going to deem it a shading device. |
Every time you get a glimpse of it, you think you are almost there, well you are wrong. There is no path to get to the entrance, you walk up alleys by people's houses. And by up, I mean up a mountain, on slippery ancient rocks. My calves, are rock solid muscle people. At the entrance you are required to buy a ticket that is approximately 15 euros. But, I mean, hey, this is 75% of the reason I came to Athens in the first place. The girl asks if we are students and we tell her yes, apparently the Greeks still love learning, because I got in for free. On the way up we met another study abroad student (who knows from what school). We got to talking to him for a little about studying abroad and such. It was nice to talk to another person, not from the McDaniel bubble, that spoke American, not just English.
After our descent, we wandered around the shop area at the base and went to dinner. The shopkeepers of Athens haggle you like there is no tomorrow, and speak to you like they are your Aunt trying to assist you. When I was looking for things to bring back to my family, the nice woman was asking me about my parents and sister and what price point I wanted, because she wanted to be sure that she didn't try to sell me something I couldn't afford. She wanted to know my sister's age and personality, the color of my parents kitchen (and then made fun of me when I forgot it for a hot minute), they just want to make you happy. Which, is a stark contrast of the quiet and closed people of Hungary who come from a culture built on the fight against anti-semitism and communism. The people were just so joyful to help. I ate the best baklava in the world, and the lightest fried potatoes you can fathom. The wheat bread grilled with olive oil and spices. I spent a lot on dinner, but it was all so totally worth it.
Once back at the hotel, I passed out for about five hours, and then woke up way to awake to go to bed for good. We went to a bar right next to our hotel to try some ouzo, because you can't come to Greece and not try it. The bartender gave me a skeptical looked when I asked for some, I suppose not thinking I could handle it, and at first I thought he may have been right. In Greece it is custom to mix the liquor with water and drink it in a proportion smaller than a cocktail, but larger than a shooter. When mixed with water, the liquor goes from clear to cloudy, milky white. This is due to the molecule is anise oil that makes it licorice flavor or anise, which is soluble in alcohol, but not in water, so the molecule separates and you can see it. If you look closely you can see the little beads of oil in the the drink. It's a viscous liquid, but not thick, it's hard to describe really. At first, it was pretty nasty, and then I kept drinking it (because I paid for it) and was able to take bigger and bigger sips. I can see why people get hooked on this stuff. I guess the bartender thought he would give us something worse, because he was thinking about these Americans thinking this was awful since they drink their alcohol fast for a purpose, not slow for enjoyment. I have no clue what it was called, another Greek delicacy apparently, but it was pretty dreadful. And, before you knew it, I was feeling the little bit a did drink.
So, that's my two days in Greece, Athens specifically. Do it if you can, everyone should see a city that just builds on top of ruins over and over again, and then digs into them when they build the metro station (true story). Hope you've had a good start to the week. If you wish to see more pictures check out my Facebook or McDaniel's admissions Flickr page.
Szia!
Okay Brookie-Cookie, the part about your drink was like a little wikipedia page. You are ridiculous.
ReplyDeleteLove you and the pictures, come home soon. We'll go on our california adventure <3
Brooke, your Dad passed your blog location to us. Interesting, new to us older folks. But some things never change. The other horrible drink was probably retsina; I forget which one tasted most like gasoline - it has been a few years........ Maurice Saxton
ReplyDelete