To begin this post, I would like to say that I took a good long while debating last night whether or not to write it then or to wait until class today to write it. After getting solid college advice from a friend, I settled on doing it in class today. While I am thankful that I now have something to actually pay attention to, I am so tired that I am not quite sure how well this post will turn out. But, back to the point of the post.
My dad decided to come visit me while I was here, which to be honest, I was quite surprised about when my parents told me this. I mean, they have already put so much into supporting me into coming, but were still willing to put out even more financially in order to receive a visit from a family member, and I cannot express the thanks that I have to them for doing that. Now, moving on, since I think I've created enough sap to make some maple syrup.
You know, sometimes having a dance studio above your flat really sucks...like right now...when children are learning to tap dance...
Upon my father's arrival I took the long trek to the airport, almost showing up late, but luckily got there in time. On the equally long trek back the bus was over heated and my dad's bags were heavy. Obviously nap time soon occurred since he was off the time schedule and I was just tired (go figure), after that, I quite honestly cannot remember what happened, but it obviously was not of great importance. We probably watched, a great love that my father and I share.
 |
| That's all candy!!! |
The next day, after traveling to school to take a mid-term, we went to the market, which is always such a bustle. A homeless man took my dad's plate of food when he was done with it, which I thought was nice, and when asked I asked my dad why he needed extra paprika scoopers, his response was, "Because they're cute." Really? He won't be able to live that one down for awhile. We wandered over and around the mall, and my dad purchased a giant, disgusting sausage. At least someone appreciated the meat of Hungary while visiting here, because I sure as hell am not, especially after seeing that piece of meat. That night I took him to Sugar! and was boring and got the same thing, but he got something that is supposedly Hungarian that included chocolate, rum (apparently), bread pudding-ish stuff, and leopard print chocolate.
 |
| SEE THE HAND?!? |
 |
| View of the street from the top |
Saturday was spent going to Szent István Basilica. We walked around the inside of the church, which is absolutely gorgeous, and also went into the chapel portion. Now, I'm thinking that the chapel portion is a smaller section, maybe still used by the clergy, involving the lighting of tea-lights, praying to Mary, etc. Well, maybe it was that at one point. Now, there is a relic there. So this relic looks like a little gilded house, and then there are these posters about the hand of King Steven coming back to Hungary, etc. etc. Ladies and gents, you know what is in that pretty house? The actual hand (not a cast) of King Steven's hand from the sixteenth century. Pretty cool, and pretty gross. We climbed to the top of the church, and I do literally mean climbed, since my dad made me take the steps, all three hundred something of them to the top (I made him take the elevator down). The view was really cool. You could see a lot of the major buildings and walk around the outside of it once you got out there. The pathway wasn't extremely wide, so it was a little unsettling, but pretty enough that I forgot about it, mostly... And then, the daily afternoon nap ensued when we returned home., and more Seinfeld was watched (see a pattern?).
 |
| Main alter inside the Basilica |
 |
| A rare moment of me in front of the camera! |
Sunday and Monday were both spent going to the baths. Sunday to Gellért and Monday to Széchenyi. I've been to Gellért before, but not to the latter. Sunday was planned and Monday was supposed to be spent going through the castle district, but it was cold, rainy, and I felt like I was going to pass out and throw up because I dislike my bio professor that much, so my dad made us an apple pie and we went to the baths again instead. I haven't taken any pictures yet because I don't want to get my camera wet, but
this website gives you the best information and pictures of the baths. Just go to choose a bath, and you're good to go! You can find pics and services there to get a visual. In my opinion, I think I liked Széchenyi better. It has more baths to access, including beautiful outdoor ones (I can't wait for when it snows), and is a little cheaper, but doesn't have the mosaic and tiled walls and ceilings like Gellért does. Gellért is definitely more upscale, and a little more genuine, in that they don't keep renovating it, I mean you can see the mineral build-up from the water on the marble fountains, but is very pretty to sit in and revere nonetheless. I would probably go get spa treatments done there.
I sent my dad off this morning, and luckily he made it to the airport. But, it's only bittersweet considering I only have two more months until I'm home, and really just wish I could bring everyone here, because I'm beginning to get the Budapest bug.
No comments:
Post a Comment